So we’re on Aegean island with an area of 35 sq.mi, with 3 days to spare and literally numerous stairs to explore. What’s the best way to do it? Away from the crowds, by finding tucked away churches and at our own honeymoon suite. Santorini, you were idyllic. Thank you.
We chose to spend our holidays at the Esperas Hotel, located at the end of Oia, what we would say it’s a perfect location actually, especially for sunsets watching. Our favourite moments were definitely mornings with breakfast views over the other Santorini islands (yes, did you know Santorini is actually made up of 5 islands?) and magical sunsets – it’s where we had witnessed the most amazing sunset of our life so far.
In case you haven’t heard yet, Santorini is one of the most visited places in the world. Tourists arrive here in droves. The local guy told us it’s supposed to be 65 planes, 6-9 cruise ships (each has cca. 15k people) and then countless ferries arriving EACH day. You do the count. Yes, it can be pretty overwhelming and you should be prepared for it. But as goes for every place in the world, so it does for Santorini – there are corners that exists you can have (almost) for yourself. We even witnessed a guy proposing to his girl on top of Skaros Rock which happens to be one of our fav locations on this island and we were actually the only two people “spoiling” their most amazing life moment. There are other numerous churches, villages, beaches which are perfect to enjoy even with only few other people around. We’ll state our must-see places below:
- OIA CASTLE FOR THE SUNSET – it takes the crown for the best views, however you should arrive here 2-3 hours before the sunset to get your fav spot – it really is that crowded.
- IMEROVIGLI STROLL – much less touristy but with most stunning panoramic views
- SKAROS ROCK – calculate the climb should take you 10 minutes down and 10 minutes up. It’s a bit tricky at the end, so bring good shoes and plenty of water. If you have the option to bring sun loungers, that would be fantastic!!! 🙂
- THE MOST HIDDEN CHURCH ON SANTORINI (the video above proves it) – you can find it behind the Skaros rock. It will take you additional 15-20 minutes, depending on the pace, just follow the path down and you’ll find your own private heaven. There’s literally no one there and you can have the best views all to yourself, including seeing Oia and other Santorini islands.
- BLACK AND RED BEACHES – they intend to get crowded in the high season, however we found them pretty spectacular and something that should not be missed.
- RENT AN ATV OR A SCOOTER (the second is the better option in summer months as it will get you faster through traffic), GET LOST AROUND THE ISLAND, THERE’S PLENTY TO SEE
- IF VISITING THE MOST TOURISTIC AKA. INSTAGRAMABLE SPOTS, BE AN EARLY RISER TO AVOID THE CROWDS
- ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS WHEN IN SANTORINI: BOOK A GREAT HOTEL, LIKE ESPERAS HOTEL
A short video from having the times of our lives at Esperas hotel:
Our exclusive tips end here. For a cherry on top, we just wanted to share one of the most shocking facts we’ve discovered along our trip – it is that Santorini is not only made of one island but it’s actually 5 of them, amongst which the one in the middle is the centre of an active enormous volcanic crater!! It is really one of the most spectacular sceneries in the world.
❥ Add a comment below for your own exclusive tip(s), would love to explore new places next time we’re back in the paradise island!